CHICAGO, IL — The Appraisal Institute, one of the nation’s largest professional associations of real estate appraisers announced it has extended its partnership with Build It Green, a California-based “green” building organization, enabling more valuation professionals to take relevant education courses.
Build It Green will offer three Appraisal Institute education courses in Palm Desert, California, in May and June and the same three courses in Laguna Hills, CA, in September. Funding for these trainings is provided through The Energy Network, a local government organization created by the California Public Utilities Commission. Appraisers who successfully complete the courses in the Appraisal Institute’s Valuation of Sustainable Buildings Professional Development Program are added to AI’s residential and commercial online registries.
Build It Green and The Energy Network will offer the following Appraisal Institute courses:
• May 28-29: Residential and Commercial Valuation of Solar (Palm Desert);
• June 25: Introduction to Green Buildings: Principles & Concepts (Palm Desert);
• June 26: Case Studies in Appraising Green Residential Buildings (Palm Desert);
• Sept. 21: Introduction to Green Buildings: Principles & Concepts (Laguna Hills);
• Sept. 22: Case Studies in Appraising Green Residential Buildings (Laguna Hills); and
• Sept. 28-29: Residential and Commercial Valuation of Solar (Laguna Hills).
The courses are open to licensed appraisers working in the Southern California region.
Course fees have been waived due to support from The Energy Network, which was authorized by the California Public Utilities Commission in 2012 to harness the collective power of residents, businesses and the public sector to achieve an unprecedented level of energy savings across Southern California.
“Our ongoing collaboration with Build It Green is part of the Appraisal Institute’s education expansion initiative, and we look forward to working with other certifying organizations on similar agreements,” said Appraisal Institute President M. Lance Coyle, MAI, SRA.
The Appraisal Institute long has been the leader in green valuation. In addition to its partnership with
Build It Green, the Appraisal Institute has demonstrated its leadership in green and energy-efficient valuation in many other ways.
• Since June 2008, the Appraisal Institute has offered nearly 450 individual education programs on green and energy efficient valuation, and more than 6,200 attendees have participated.
• In February 2015, the Appraisal Institute released its Commercial Green and Energy-Efficient Addendum, the first form of its kind for appraisers’ use. It is intended to help analyze values of commercial buildings’ energy-efficient features.
• Two Appraisal Institute members contributed to a landmark study released in January 2015 by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory that found that home buyers consistently have been willing to pay more for homes with host-owned solar photovoltaic energy systems. The eight-state, 12-year study produced the most authoritative estimates to date of price premiums for U.S. homes with PV systems.
• At the request of appraisers’ clients, in April 2014 the Appraisal Institute expanded its Valuation of Sustainable Buildings Professional Development Program’s online registries of residential and commercial appraisers to include everyone who has completed the course.
• The Appraisal Institute released a new book, “Residential Green Valuation Tools” by Sandra K. Adomatis, SRA, in April 2014. AI previously published “An Introduction to Green Homes” by Alan Simmons, SRPA, in 2010.