Broomall, PA — Broomall Fire Company announced that that they have entered into an agreement with the architecture firm of Bernardon to move forward with design and documentation for a new fire station at the former Marple School site in Broomall.
The Broomall Fire Company (BFC or Company 53) was established in 1923 by a group of twenty-six men whose sole purpose was to establish fire protection for the growing Marple Township community. Today, BFC serves well over 24,000 citizens and protects an area of 11 square miles, including a large stretch of Interstate 476.
The current firehouse, which is 60 years old this year, is located at North Malin Rd. near West Chester Pike. The building is insufficiently sized to accommodate today’s modern fire apparatus, and is obsolete relative to the recent advances in fire-fighting technology. The new 25,000 s/f station, which will be located across the street from the existing firehouse, will accommodate the current apparatus, significantly improve functionality, and optimize response time.
“We are extremely excited to be working with Bernardon on this new firehouse project,” said Jim Capuzzi, president. “The new station will make BFC a more responsive and efficient operation, and will allow us to continue to serve the Marple Township community for decades to come.”
The new firehouse will be designed by Bernardon, an architecture, interior design, and landscape architecture firm. They have provided design services for over two dozen fire, safety, and emergency services facilities, including the East Whiteland Volunteer Fire Association in East Whiteland. and Minquas Fire Company No. 2 in Downingtown.
Primary funding for the project comes from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania with the assistance of former State Representative William F. Adolph, Jr., who was instrumental in helping the company to secure a $3.25 million Redevelopment Assistance Capital Program (RACP) grant for the new station. The grant was subsequently matched with $3 million allocated by the Board of Commissioners of Marple Township.